Before starting your online application:
- check our Country-specific requirements and the minimum CGPA for your country, if any, related to your degree. The CGPA requirements are strict and no exceptions will be considered: if your CGPA is below the minimum we require, we will not proceed with the evaluation of your candidature. Also, to be eligible for the admission application to a master's degree course in Italy (Laurea Magistrale), the foreign qualification must allow the access to the Level 7 EQF of the European Qualifications Framework.
- make sure you have all documents below ready on your computer, saved in pdf format and named without special characters or accents (e.g. ñ ş ü î è ò etc.). Please note: a scan of original documents is required (not a scan of photocopies).
- Please note that in case you have both a Bachelor and a Master Degree, you will be evaluated on the basis of your Bachelor Degree only.
- Please be aware that after paying the application fee, applicants will NOT be able to modify any of the uploaded documents or add any extra documents..
- Politecnico di Milano will NOT process any incomplete online applications including those without the application fee.
It is your responsibility to make sure that whatever is uploaded online within your personal profile is valid, complete and clearly legible.
Applicants whose documents are incomplete or found to be forged will be disqualified from the admission process.
Once the PDF files are ready, fill out the online application form.
Official academic documents (Academic transcript, University qualification, Detailed study programme and letter of recommendation) are accepted in Italian, English, French or Spanish.
An official translation of both the academic transcript and the university qualification is also required, in case the original document is in a language other than Italian, English, French or Spanish. To be valid, the translation must contain an original stamp and/or signature of an official translator.
Motivation letter(s), Portfolio and Cv must be provided in English or Italian.
The mandatory documents are compulsory in order to be evaluated by the International Admissions Office.
Politecnico di Milano will NOT process any incomplete online applications.
An official copy of the Bachelor degree must be uploaded. If at the moment of applying your university qualification is not yet available, an official provisional certificate can be provided. If you do not have a degree yet, you can provide us with an enrollment document issued by your University Registrar's Office. Please make sure that the document clearly confirms that you are attending the last year of your bachelor studies and, if possible, specifies the foreseen graduation date.
The certificate should include your name, surname and your bachelor course length.
The original bachelor/provisional certificate must contain the stamps and/or signatures from your university Registrar's Office in order to be considered valid. Alternatively, we accept documents verifiable through official link (Código de Verificación) or QRcodes.
An official translation of the Bachelor/provisional degree is also required, in case the original document is in a language other than Italian, English, French or Spanish. To be valid, the translation must contain an original stamp and /or signature of an official translator.
Please note that Politecnico di Milano, at any stage of the evaluation, may ask the applicants to provide either the Declaration of Value or the CIMEA Statement of Comparability of the academic degree.
For more information on CIMEA documents, please check this website.
An academic transcript is an official document issued by the university Registrar’s Office containing courses taken, grades received and the relation between credits and hours for each course (if applicable to your educational system). The International Admissions office only accepts original transcripts (with the official University stamps and signatures). Alternatively, we accept documents verifiable through official link (Código de Verificación) or QRcodes. All scans must be uploaded on both sides and be clearly legible. We will only consider the transcript of your Bachelor degree and will not take into consideration other degrees such as Associate or Master degree.
An official translation of the academic transcript is also required, in case the original document is in a language other than Italian, English, French or Spanish. To be valid, the translation must contain an original stamp and/or signature of an official translator.
You have to upload a Cumulative GPA statement which must include both:
- Your CGPA (=percentage or weighted score or exams average)
- The grading scale with the minimum passing grade in use at your University.
The document must be officially issued by your University.
You can upload your Bachelor's transcript or diploma if this information is provided.
Curriculum vitae is a written description of your work experience, educational background and skills. Maximum 2 pages long.
You must provide a Portfolio of your projects. The portfolio must be uploaded on your online profile in the section “Master of Science programme(s) selection” and cannot be bigger than 20 MB. Please do not send hard copies by post since they will not be considered.
What is a portfolio?
The portfolio is a collection of selected samples of work from your previous educational programme or work experiences. It should reflect the scope and variety of your training and experience with specific emphasis on your knowledge and skills in the degree track for which you are applying. You should submit projects that represent your interests and personal views as well as your design and technological abilities. Neatness and clarity of presentation are extremely important as they reflect both your attitude towards your work as well as your ability to communicate your work in a comprehensive and deliberate manner.
If you apply to Design&Engineering with an academic background in Engineering, you are not required to provide the portfolio.
The language certificate(s) is not compulsory to complete the online application process and to start your evaluation, but it is MANDATORY in order to obtain your admission letter, to be considered for merit-based scholarships, to obtain the Visa and to enrol at Politecnico di Milano.
However, the language certificate(s) does not influence the outcome of your evaluation. Therefore, a different submission deadline has been set accordingly.
All applicants need to provide a document attesting their English language knowledge. This is a requirement both for English and for Italian taught programmes.
- TOEFL: CBT -210 / IBT – 78 / PBT- 547/ TOEFL ITP® Plus only for China - 543 (Our TOEFL code is 9795). We have also decided to exceptionally accept the new TOEFL iBT® Special Home Edition English certificate. Please check on the TOEFL website to know it is offered in your country/current location and to find detailed information about it.
- TOEIC (only listening and reading) - 720
- IELTS (Academic) - 6. PLEASE NOTE: if you still haven’t received the official report of the Academic IELTS, we inform you that we are able to verify online the results. If this is your case, please send us a message through the message system available in your application profile stating the date of the exam and your Test Report Form (TRF) number.
- CAMBRIDGE: Proficiency – Pass at grade C / Advanced – Pass at grade C / First – Pass at grade B
- TRINITY COLLEGE: ISE II
- ENGLISH AS BACHELOR MEDIUM OF INSTRUCTION: Students who can prove that English was the medium of instruction of their Bachelor Degree (at least for 3 years) are exempted from providing any English language certification. In this last case, students are required to upload a document certified by the university attesting that their programme was entirely taught in English.
ATTENTION! Your English certificate must be verified after your arrival to Italy and right before the beginning of classes. There are only two possible ways to do this:
a. You bring the ORIGINAL certificate with you at your arrival to Italy
b. You request the institute where you passed the test to send the result directly to the Politecnico di Milano (TOEFL code 9795)
Photocopies or PDF files will be not considered as official documents.
Students applying to an Italian taught programme must also provide an Italian language certificate, level B1 (Common European Framework).
Students who can prove to hold the Italian citizenship are extempted from providing any Italian language certification.
The language certificate(s) is not mandatory to complete the online application process but it is compulsory in order to obtain your admission letter, for being considered for merit based scholarships, and for Visa obtainment and for the enrolment to Politecnico di Milano. However, the language certificate(s) do not influence the outcome of your evaluation and therefore a different deadline has been set accordingly.
In order to submit a more competitive application it is advisable to add the following optional documents which can improve your chances of being positively evaluated.
Please be aware that after paying the application fee, applicants will NOT be able to modify any of the uploaded documents or add any extra documents.
No minimum score has been set, the applicant can upload it as PDF file
A letter written by a current or former professor. University Letterhead and/or an original stamp are welcome. Please note that there is no specific format required for the recommendation letter, but it must contain the institutional contacts of the professor. We advise you to ask a professor who knows you well to write it, to be personal and to show that he knows you are applying to Politecnico di Milano.
If you completed your studies a few years ago and it is not possible to get a letter from your former professor, a letter written by your manager or employer may be accepted.
A letter of motivation (also called a "statement of purpose" or "personal essay") is a brief essay in which you explain what you hope to achieve, as well as what qualifies you as a top candidate for the admission, why you selected that specific programme, and why you have chosen Politecnico di Milano among other universities.
If you apply to 2 courses, please write 2 different motivation letters (max. 2 pages each) and combine them into one pdf file to be uploaded on your profile.
A document, 4 MB max, containing a brief but detailed description regarding the content of each course taken. If possible, it should contain the number of hours of the courses or training activities that you have completed according to your academic bachelor curriculum. It can be taken directly from the website of your university or it can be copied from the university course catalogue. If the course description is not available, you can write it yourself and, if possible, have it signed by the Head of the Department of your study programme. Here are some samples:
- EEA applicants will be asked to upload a valid identification document, once the online application is completed, through the message area available on their application profile;
- Non-EEA residents in Italy will be asked to upload a valid residence permit, once the online application is completed, through the message area available on their application profile
Politecnico di Milano reserves the right to request further documentation in case of any doubt concerning the authenticity or suitability of uploaded documents.
At any stage of the evaluation, the applicants may be asked to provide either the Declaration of Value or the CIMEA Statement of Comparability of the academic degree. For more information on CIMEA documents, please check this website.