Device for cell culture: an innovative Miniaturised Optically Accessible perfusion Bioreactor
Data di pubblicazione
Licenza a Spin off
Data di priorità
Brevetto Italiano Concesso e Domanda di brevetto in US, Europa e Cina
Politecnico di Milano
DIPARTIMENTO DI CHIMICA, MATERIALI E INGEGNERIA CHIMICA "GIULIO NATTA"
Manuela Teresa Raimondi, Matteo Laganà
A modular perfused bioreactor was designed and patented at Politecnico di Milano. This innovative bioreactor has three independent miniaturized culture chambers, optically accessible both in phase contrast, fluorescence and in confocal microscopy. Each chamber can be opened and closed independently and easily, while maintaining sterility of the culture. Each chamber can host either a miniaturized scaffold for 3D culture, or a hydrogel, a monolayer culture or a piece of explanted biological tissue.
The bioreactor has been extensively validated for cell culture using several cell types including mesenchymal stem cells and human neuron-like cells. The bioreactor has a design optimized for fabrication in series with low cost Injection molding and assembly techniques, and commercialized sterile, for single-use as a low cost and disposable device.
Campo di applicazione
3D cell culture;
Biology and pharmacology.
The advantages of the invention compared to other miniaturized cell culture devices are:
1) low-cost mass production by injection molding of plastics and assembly by gluing, allowing for a single use despite its high performance;
2) modularity of the culture chambers (in terms of geometry, dimensions, independency);
3) easiness of opening/closing of each chamber, possible on a repetitive basis and without the need of replacing the device;
4) modularity of the operative conditions (chamber connection, chamber number, independency of the cultured cells in each chamber);
5) optical accessibility, in all the operative conditions, both in standard and in confocal microscopy, both straight and inverted.
Stadio di sviluppo
Prototype optimized for injection molding, ready for the production of a pre-series.