- Year of nomination: 2007
- Facility: Department of Nuclear Engineering [facility name no longer in use]
- E-mail: email@example.com
"Professor Marseguerra became Full Professor in Reactor Physics at Politecnico di Milano in 1980.
In his long career in this role, he has:
- carried out numerous teaching tasks with great commitment, continuity and dedication
- undertaken innovative research in his field, with a particular focus on the development and use of Monte Carlo simulation methods and advanced computational techniques, applied to problems of neutron transport and contaminants and to problems of nuclear and industrial safety, opening up new lines of research (the most recent regarding the modelling of anomalous diffusion) and forming an internationally recognised and appreciated scientific school
- generated and still generates a significant and visible scientific output: he is author or co-author of more than 150 papers in international journals and 9 papers were published in international journals in the last two years, 2005 and 2006
- promoted the installation of experimental laboratories at Politecnico for research into nuclear safeguards and the transport of contaminants in porous media
- held numerous institutional positions at Politecnico in a dedicated, reliable and professional manner (President of the Study Programme Board in Nuclear Engineering from 1983 to 1996; Co-ordinator of the PhD in Radiation Science and Technology from 1988 to 2006; Head of the Department of Nuclear Engineering from 1996 to 1998; President of the University Security Centre from 2001 to 2004)
- received international recognition and praise, including a tribute for his 70th birthday in the international journal Annals of Nuclear Energy; a session in his honour at the international FLINS (Fuzzy Logic and Intelligent Technologies in Nuclear Science) conference in 2006; the FLINS gold medal (an honour which has also been awarded to, among others, Prof. Lotti Zadeh, founder of the Theory of Fuzzy Logic); his election as member of the Editorial Board of the journal 'Reliability Engineering & System Safety' since 1986; and an invitation from the Greek Ministry of Development, General Secretariat for Research and Technology, to be part of three Evaluation Committees of the National Centre of Scientific Research Demokritos, Athens in 2000 and 2001."
[extract from the 2011 nomination statement]