Loss of student status

Loss of students status is a condition that implies to not continue the university career started by the student.
A student loses the student status in one of the following conditions.

Failure to renew the registration

The student does not renew the enrolment for a number of academic years equal to the normal duration of the study programme, without submitting a request for suspension from study.

Failure to obtain at least a positive evaluation

The student, during the two previous years, did not even pass an exam and did not apply for suspension from study.

Exceeding the maximum number of unsubscription years

The student has not acquired all the educational credits (ECTS) provided by his/her study programme (except those related to the final exam) within a specified period. The calculation of this period, after that the condition of loss of student status is applied, is not based on academic years, but on the "weighed years", through a calculation that gives to each academic year a different weight according to the number of ECTS acquired by the student in that year.


  • an academic year where the student acquired from 60 to 80 ECTS is calculated as "1 weighed year"
  • an academic year where the student acquired from 31 to 59 ECTS is calculated as a fraction of a weighing year equal to the n. of ECTS/60
  • an academic year where the student acquired less than 31 ECTS is calculated as “half weighed year"

The period to which the loss of student status is applied is 6 weighed years for Laurea (equivalent to Bachelor of Science) Programmes, 4 weighed years for Laurea magistrale (equivalent to Master of Science) Programmes.

You only have to access the Online Services ("Career - Withdrawal conditions") to view the number of ECTS acquired during each academic year, the number of corresponding weighed years and the total of weighed years.

For the purpose of loss of student status, also previous periods of career and any change of programme, educational system or transfers are calculated.

Attention: it is not possible to provide in advance when the loss of student status is applied, because the progression of the number of missing weighted years depends on the number of ECTS that you will insert in the study plan of the next academic years.

Resumption of studies

If you lost your student status, you cannot resume the previous university career. However, you can start a new university career by enrolling again in one of the study programmes activated by Politecnico di Milano: for this solution, you must follow the procedure for students that enrol for the first time, as shown on the Web site PoliOrientaMi. You will not be charged of any previous recognition tuition fees.

Students who have lost the student status and are re-enrolled cannot obtain changes of programme, transfers, etc.

International students

If you are an international student, with a valid residence permit, the loss of student status implies the loss of requirements to stay. Therefore, if you intend to proceed with a new registration you need to apply for a new student visa.