POLYMER FLAKES FOR THE REMOVAL OF CATIONS, ANIONS AND LIPOPHILIC COMPOUNDS FROM FLUIDS
Data di pubblicazione
Data di priorità
Italian patent application
Politecnico di Milano
Department of Chemistry Materials and Chemical Engineering
Davide Moscatelli, Massimo Morbidelli, Mattia Sponchioni
This invention refers to polymer flakes, with average size between 1 and 500 μm, able to selectively adsorb cations, anions and lipophilic compounds. The flakes can be easily dispersed in a fluid stream, interact with the pollutant and be separated by filtration, centrifugation or cyclones. In addition, the adsorbed species can be recovered using a suitable cleaning solution, thus restoring the flake efficiency for a further purification cycle. The efficiency of these formulations has been tested for more than 10 treatment/regeneration cycles, with only a poor reduction (<10%) in the performances. Differently from the available technologies, the polymer flakes described in this invention show a very high surface area for high adsorption performances and are active at any value of pH and in a wide range of temperature (0 – 100 °C).
Campo di applicazione
• Removal of heavy metal ions from galvanic wastewater;
• Removal of heavy metal ions from alimentary fluids;
• Water remediation;
• Decontamination from pesticides;
• Removal of perfluorinated compounds;
• Hydrocarbon recovery and reutilization.
• The polymer flakes can be easily tailored to make them suitable to different applications;
• Different surface functionalization can be provided with simple chemistry;
• Stable and efficient in a wide range of temperature and pH;
• Suitable to adsorb different polluting species: heavy metal cations and/or anions, hydrocarbons, fluorinated and/or chlorinated compounds.
• The polymer flakes can be regenerated after washing with proper solutions and preserve the adsorption efficacy for up to 10 treatment/regeneration cycles.
Stadio di sviluppo