PROBABILISTIC FATIGUE ASSESSMENT OF COMPONENTS IN THE PRESENCE OF DEFECTS
Data di pubblicazione
Data di priorità
Politecnico di Milano
Department of Mechanical Engineering
Stefano Beretta, Simone Romano, Stefano Miccoli
• Analytic model for probabilistic fatigue assessment of components in the presence of manufacturing defects. The model considers the distribution of defects distinguishing between surface or embedded flaws and accounts for the major sources of variability.
• The outputs are the failure probability of the component, the evaluation of the critical locations, and the critical defect size in any region of the part.
Campo di applicazione
• Fatigue assessment of components produced with metallic alloys or homogeneous materials in the presence of manufacturing defects (e.g. caused by Additive Manufacturing, casting, forging).
• Possible applications sectors include among the others aerospace, medical, automotive.
• Model able to correctly calculate the failure probability for surface-exposed and internal defects;
• Reduced computational time and effort with respect to state-of-the-art models based on explicit fatigue crack growth simulations;
• Fully-probabilistic model, able to consider the variability of applied stress as well as material fatigue strength;
• Increased flexibility of experimental data description (i.e. defect distribution number and type, material fatigue strength, sources of variability).
Stadio di sviluppo