CFDHub@Polimi - Computational Fluid Dynamic Laboratory
CFDHub@Polimi implements and manages scientific calculation systems made available by the different interested Departments. Calculation systems implemented within CFDHub@Polimi are mainly used in fluid dynamics and heat exchange modelling, for turbulent, multiphase, and reactive phenomena. The laboratory’s objective is the implementation and management of an HPC system capable of accessing research projects and supporting industrial design with a high technological content and innovation. Within the laboratory, Open-source codes use is promoted, using various modelling approaches including DNS/LES, Lattice Boltzmann and Molecular used in frontier research in the Departments’ areas of interest.
University Server Farm Z3 - Campus Bovisa South
The available calculation structure consists of two different clusters. The main cluster is equipped with a high-speed connection network (Infiniband optical fibre) and consists of 174 calculation hosts (3000+ cores, 13+ Tb RAM, 800+ Tb HD).
The main cluster’s structure includes:
- Front-end hosts (DELL R720 with Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2650 V2 @ 2.6GHz with 28 cores and 320 Gb RAM)
- GPGPU Graphics Unit Host (DELL R720 calculation with Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2650 V2 @ 2.6GHz and two NVIDIA K40 GPU units totalling 32 cores and 256 Gb RAM)
- Calculation Host (e.g. DELL M620 with Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2640 0 @ 2.50GHz, DELL M630 with Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz...)
- Scratch Area (High-speed data management system using SSD disks)
- Storage (High capacity data storage system with RAID data redundancy system)
The main calculation codes available are:
- ANSYS Workbench
- ANSYS Fluent
- ANSYS CFX
- ANSYS Mechanica
Procedures and costs of using equipment
Laboratory access methods for the interested Department and other Polimi users are regulated through remote access (graphic and data transfer terminal connection) and hourly rates per calculation core used. For further details on resources access methods and costs, please email the contact person.
Riccardo Mereu (DENG)
For technical information:
- Fabio lnzoli (DENG)
- Tiziano Faravelli (DCMC)
- Monica Riva (DICA)
- Alberto Redaelli (DEIB)
- Alberto Zasso (DMEC)