The Politecnico di Milano is part of 5 of the 8 KICs active in the EIT (see figure below):
- EIT Urban Mobility: focuses on developing sustainable solutions for smart, green, integrated mobility;
- EIT Manufacturing: aims to reinforce and increase the competitiveness of the European manufacturing industry;
- EIT Climate-KIC: addresses challenges regarding adaptation to climate change and the mitigation of related changes;
- EIT Digital: boosts the digital transformation in Europe;
- EIT Raw Materials: is dedicated to guaranteeing accessibility, availability, and the sustainable use of new raw materials for citizens and the economy.
The Knowledge and Innovation Communities (KICs) are the main operational tool of the European Institute of Innovation and Technology (EIT), an EU body and integral part of Horizon 2020 created in 2008 to reinforce innovative capacity in Europe.
With more than 1000 partners, EIT is the largest European innovation network. It encompasses the ‘triangle of knowledge’ integrating the industrial world, education, and research to find solutions to pressing global challenges.
In this sense, the KICs act as innovation catalysts, performing activities covering the entire value chain, from training and instruction programmes to innovative projects and support for business incubators and accelerators.
Each KIC represents an independent legal entity equipped with its own physical infrastructure and financial resources.
For information and support: