DIETER RAMS _ A LOOK BACK AND AHEAD _ POLIMI DESIGN SCHOOL EVENTS
(Seminars, Exhibitions, Conferences)
- Language: ENGLISH, ITALIAN
- Campus: MILANO BOVISA
- Enrollment: 03-05-2023to hour 12:00 on
- Subject area: Soft skill, personal and career development
- Teacher in charge
- ARQUILLA VENANZIO
- Hours to attend
- Max. number of students
- Selection Criteria
- Arrival Order.
- DESIGN, Design Culture, Product Design, integrated product design
- Interaction design, Interior design, Product design
Description of the initiative
As written in the presentation document of the exhibition:
"In the second half of the 20th century, the German industrial designer Dieter Rams (born 20.5.1932) designed over 350 products for the domestic appliance company Braun and the furniture manufacturer Vitsoe.
His products have been –and continue to be – used on a daily basis by hundreds of thousands of people throughout the world and his designs still exert considerable influence on young designers. Rams was never just interested in the form of everyday objects but also reflected a great deal in many lectures and publications on the significance of such products for both the user and for society as a whole.
At a time when conservation of resources and the protection of the environment have become the core challenges for humanity, Rams' work is more relevant than ever.It represents a design approach he himself described as ‘less, but better'. Back in the 1970s Rams consistently argued in favour of designing objects in such a way as to enable their longest possible use.
How should our world be designed in the future, so that it can still survive?"
Following on from these stimuli, the School of Design has organised a series of collateral events and a challenge designed to provide unprecedented answers to these issues that have now become relevant and are in fact transforming our perception of the future but also the way we do design. It starts with a seminar presenting the exhibition and the figure of Dieter Rams by Klaus Kemp, Director of the Dieter and Ingeborg Rams Foundation, who on Friday 5 May from 2.30 p.m. will meet students in Aula Castiglioni, ed. B1, School of Design. The event will be an opportunity to reflect on the principles of Dieter Rams and his impact on the products we use today with the possibility to interact directly with Klaus Kemp. Passion In Action will be presented during the event.
On 22 May 2023 there will be a talk with the Design Directors of the different Brands of the DeLonghi Group (Markus Orthey, Braun, Dario Grasselli, DeLonghi, Samuele Meda, Kenwood) in which, starting from the design DNA of each Brand, they will discuss the role of design and designers in contemporary businesses and reflect on which competences and skills are most promising for the designers of the future.
On 26 May 2023 there will be an unprecedented screening, reserved to students and lecturers of the Politecnico di Milano, of the film 'Rams' directed by Gary Hustwit (USA 2018).
In addition to participating in the events, students taking part in the PIA will have to complete a challenge involving:
- Identification of one or two products on the market that can be traced back to the principles of Good Design. Originality and quality of references will be rewarded in the identification. It is recommended to avoid Braun and Apple products, which are known to be related and linked to the work of Rams and the typical Braun proportions. A front/back postcard shall be produced for each product. The front side should feature an image of the selected product and the product name, while the back side should include references to the manufacturing company, references to the designer, year of production, cost as well as a motivation tweet with some Hashtags.
- Definition of one or two new design principles, i.e. one or two statements that could complement or constitute the principles of a renewed design manifesto.
_ 05 May 2023 _ from 2.30 p.m. _ seminar presenting the exhibition and the figure of Dieter Rams by Klaus Kemp (not mandatory for PIA partecipation)
_ 19 May 2023 _ PIA Enrolment
_ 22 May 2023 _ talk with the Design Directors of the different Brands of the DeLonghi Group @ADI Design Museum
_ 26 May 2023 _ movie 'Rams' directed by Gary Hustwit (USA 2018) @Polimi Room B2.0.1
_ 30 May 2023 _ Delivery of the challenge to email@example.com before 12:00 a.m.
Each participant must submit a single PDF document containing:
_ the postcard(s) (10x15 cm, with F/R paginated in a single A4),
_ one A4 with the new design principles,
_ one A4 for each of the events attended with a picture of the event and a short text commenting on the reflections arising from participation.
Delivery of the challenge to firstname.lastname@example.org before 12:00 a.m. by entering as subject: PIA RAMS Delivery _ surname and first name