64K COMPUTER CLUB
(Project laboratory, Hackathon, Competitions, Mentorship, Informatic laboratory, Experimental laboratory, Workshop, Contest)
- Language: ENGLISH, ITALIAN
- Campus: MILANO CITTÀ STUDI, MILANO BOVISA
- Enrollment: 20-05-2021to hour 12:00 on
- Subject area: Tools|Tech and society
- Teacher in charge
- MOTTOLA LUCA
- Hours to attend
The initiative has no particular prerequisites, as skills and knowledge required depend on the specific project the students want to undertake. Through both peer-to-peer exchanges and the mentorship of the faculty involved, the students fill whatever gap they have at the start of the experience, while being contaminated by other disciplines.
- Max. number of students
- Selection Criteria
- Student selection will be based on the order of arrival and the ability to form inter-disciplinary student groups
- Experiential learning, Hands-on, Making, Peer-to-peer knowledge exchange, Project work
- Smart cities and smart building, Communication and presentation skills, Interaction design, Product design, Service design, Circular economy, Energy, Industry 4.0, Computer science, Infrastructures, Engineering, Artificial intelligence, Mobility and transportation, Environmental and social sustainability, Software, Sport, Health and lifescience, Food and Agriculture, Information technologies
Description of the initiative
When 64K started in 2016, the Passion in Action initiative did not exist. Polifactory, NESLab, and POul ran the initiative on a voluntary basis, eventually involving a group of 13 students across Integrated Product Design, Electronic Engineering, and Computer Engineering, who worked out of the regular curricula for almost two years on the realization of several innovative projects. One example is the design, realization, and demonstration of the 64Key device, a hardware/software platform that enables impromptu sensing, data sharing, collaborative working, and social networking among physically co-located users independently of the availability of Internet access. Under the supervision of the involved faculty, the students conceived the early idea, carried out the design and implementation by learning complementary knowledge from each other, and eventually acquired the skills to communicate the project features to a diverse audience. In 2018, a public event was held at Politecnico to chronicle the two years of 64K activities (www.polifactory.polimi.it/hands-on-64k/). The 64Key device was eventually recognized as Best Demo Runner Up at the flagship ACM International Conference in Networked Embedded Sensing (SENSYS - Shenzen, China), in 2018. More information is available about the previous 64K experiences and this project in particular at www.64kcomputer.club.
The activities on new projects will unfold in a peer-to-peer fashion at either Polifactory or NESLab depending on the need, and range from brainstorming and conceptual design to hands-on experiential learning and public demonstrations. Successful completion of the course will be determined based on the extent the project prototype fulfills the initial goals.
L'attività è interamente laboratoriale e non prevede un calendario di incontri prestabiliti.