Degree Programmes in Engineering
For transfers to the degree programme in Architectural Engineering, see the page on transfers to the Degree programmes in Architectural Design and Single-cycle Architectural Engineering.
Deadline for application submission for a previous career assessment: from 17 May to 19 August 2021:
- You are a student from another University and wish to transfer to a degree programme in Engineering
- You have already graduated or obtained a university degree from Politecnico di Milano or another University and wish to take a second degree in Engineering
- Your previous academic career has been terminated due to withdrawal or forfeiture and you want to re-enrol in an Engineering programme
Access Online Services and click on "Laurea Triennale (equivalent to Bachelor of Science) and single-cycle programmes: course transitions and admission with previous academic career."
You can request the assessment of your previous academic career for up to three degree programmes. You must pay €60 for each assessment request. This fee is non-refundable.
- If at least 35 ECTS credits are validated for the programme in which you are interested, you can enrol directly from the assessment of your previous career without having to take the TOL entrance test.
- If less than 35 ECTS credits are validated, enrolment is only possible after taking the TOL entrance test and if the result of the test or the position in the ranking will allow you to enrol in your programme of interest.
If this is the case, you will have to follow the enrolment instructions and those below concerning the assessment of your previous academic career.
A committee will assess which of the transfer requests that meet the above criteria can be accepted, taking into account the number of students enrolled in the first year and the academic career indicators (number of ECTS credits taken, average score, TOL score). The committee will decide which ECTS credits will be recognised as valid for graduation.
If you doubt that at least 35 ECTS credits will be validated, or are concerned that even if they are, you cannot meet the number of places available, we suggest you take the TOL entrance test to take part in the enrolment process under the Call for applications.
If you attended another University, or have already graduated, and wish to graduate at Politecnico di Milano, you must obtain 60 ECTS credits of curricular examinations at our University, in addition to the final exam and the compulsory internship, if required.
Students who do not hold one of the English language certifications required by the University are automatically awarded English OFA (additional educational obligations. These OFA must be completed within the first year of enrolment at Politecnico di Milano. Otherwise, it is not possible to add new courses to the study plan, in addition to those already included at the time of enrolment. If at the time of admission, the Study Plan is submitted complete with the ECTS credits required for graduation, admission to the final examination is not permitted until the English OFA have been completed.
Deadlines and procedure for requesting previous academic career assessment
- Apply for your previous academic career assessment from 17 May to 19 August 2021.
- Publication of previous academic career assessment: by 7 September.
- By 13 September you can check the status and outcome of your assessment request to accept or reject it, by re-entering the application.
If you have any doubt that you will not be validated for at least 35 ECTS credits, we advise you to take the TOL entrance test to allow you to take part in the enrolment phases under the Call for applications.
With your person code and password, access Online Services and select the item "Laurea Triennale (equivalent to Bachelor of Science) and single-cycle programmes: course transitions and admission with a previous academic career." Download and read the "Previous career evaluation request guideline".
You can indicate up to three degree programmes for which to request the assessment of your previous career. The procedure is quite intuitive and straightforward. Follow the screens and carefully read the warnings on each page. You will be asked to enter some information about your previous academic career. We advise you to prepare the following in advance:
- name of the qualification obtained or partial qualification
- University name
- last academic year of enrolment
- last year of the programme in which you were enrolled
- last year’s enrolment status (regular repeating student, provisional repeating student, student who exceeded the legal time)
- date of your academic career ending
- reason for ending your academic career (withdrawal from studies, forfeited, or dismissed)
The application will ask you to declare whether you wish to have your previous academic career evaluated.
A) If you declare that you "want the assessment", this means that your previous academic career will be assessed, and any teaching may be recognised.
You must enter the programmes for which you wish to be evaluated, indicating the following for each programme
- SSD - Scientific Disciplinary Sector (if provided by your study programme or System)
- the number of credits should be indicated if provided by the study programme or System
- programme name or part of the name
- the academic year in which the exam is included in your career
- exam status (passed, not taken, Validated/derived from previous assessment/Suitability)
You also have to upload two separate files in PDF format including the following documents:
- Academic Transcripts: certified by the university registrar’s office, confirming courses taken, grades received and the relation of credits given to number of hours for each course. This document will be accepted in Italian, English, French or Spanish.
- Detailed Study Programs: brief course descriptions explaining the content and the basic topics covered in each course, and the number of hours for each course/training activity in the academic curriculum that the candidate has completed. Programs should be on university letterhead and stamped by the university. Politecnico di Milano DOES NOT require a translation of the detailed study programs if written in English, French or Spanish. The diploma supplement, if adopted, can replace the transcripts.
ATTENTION It is not necessary to have all documents legalized/apostilled in order to apply for an evaluation of the previous career but you must provide them after enrolment.
This procedure must be completed for each of the programmes for which you ask an evaluation. If you ask the evaluation for three different programmes, you will have to apply for three different evaluations, by clicking each time on "New Request."
If you have been enrolled at Politecnico (e.g. you are a forfeited student), you will see the screen with your entire previous career entered.
This data entry operation must be completed for each target programme for which you are applying for admission. If you are applying for assessment for three different programmes, you will have to follow the procedure three times, each time clicking on the "New application" button.
For each programme for which you are requesting assessment you will be required to pay € 60. This fee is non-refundable. As soon as the payment is received by Politecnico di Milano the assessment request cannot be changed, and will be sent to the committee.
B) If you declare that you "do not want the assessment," you are stating that you do not want recognition of the exams from your previous academic career
This choice cannot be changed.
Publication of assessments
By 7 September you can check the status and outcome of your assessment request by re-entering the application.
Once you have seen the outcome you must
- reject the assessment result
- accept the assessment result
If you have accepted your previous academic path's assessment outcome, previous programme exams that obtained OPTIONAL VALIDATION (see the column Optional validation YES with the related validated exam) may be taken on the date scheduled in the academic calendar until the closing date of your previous career.
Assessments may have different processing times. If one assessment is accepted, the others will be invalidated. It is advisable to wait for the outcome of assessments before accepting.
- If the assessment outcome recognises less than 35 ECTS credits or is rejected enrolment is only possible by passing the TOL entrance test and any ranking depending on the different enrolment periods.
- If the assessment result recognises more than 35 ECTS credits and you accept the assessment you can enrol without taking the TOL.
- You can proceed with the payment of the first instalment from 12 July to 7 September 2021.
Remember to pay the first instalment and enrol after you have correctly closed the enrolment on the previous programme, to avoid incurring enrolment in multiple degree programmes.