Degree Programmes in Design
If you are interested in a degree programme at the School of Design and
- you are a student at another University and wish to transfer
- you have already graduated or if you have obtained a university degree from Politecnico di Milano or another University and wish to take a second degree
- your previous career has been terminated due to withdrawal or forfeiture, and you want to re-enrol
you must request your previous career assessment from 17 May until 29 July 2021.
Access Online Services and click on "Laurea Triennale (equivalent to Bachelor of Science) and single-cycle programmes: course transitions and admission with previous academic career."
You can request the assessment of your previous academic career for up to three degree programmes. You must pay €60 for each assessment request. This fee is non-refundable.
You can transfer/re-enrol:
- by taking the Design entrance test.
If you have taken the Design test and your ranking position allows you to enrol, you must follow the instructions for enrolment on page After the test: enrolment and access the Online Services "Laurea Triennale (equivalent to Bachelor of Science) and single-cycle programmes: course transitions and admission with a previous academic career" and follow the procedure on page Deadlines and procedures for requesting previous academic career assessment.
- by competing with the merit list you can be admitted without taking the entrance test if you are recognised at least 30 ECTS credits from your previous career and up to the number of quota places.
After 29 July 2021, to transfer/re-enrol, students must enrol in the entrance test and their transfer will only be possible if they pass the Design test and enter the ranking according to the different enrolment periods. Any previous career can only be assessed by applying to the School.
The Merit Listwill be published on the website of the School of Design (the publication date will be communicated in the next few days). If you are not on the merit list you can register for the TOLD entrance test of the standard session from 16 July until 19 August 2021.
Further information about the procedure and documentation can be found in the notice Transfer Guide.
If you come from another University or if you have already graduated and you want to graduate at Politecnico di Milano, you must obtain 60 ECTS credits of curricular examinations in our University in addition to the final exam and the compulsory internship if required. All students who do not have the English language certification required by the University are automatically assigned English OFA. If at the time of admission, the Study Plan is submitted complete with the ECTS credits required for graduation, admission to the final examination is not permitted until the English OFA have been completed.
Deadlines and procedure for requesting previous academic career assessment
If you want to apply to transfer/re-enrol you must apply for an assessment of your previous career through Online Services and click on "Laurea Triennale (equivalent to Bachelor of Science) and single-cycle programmes: course transitions and admission with previous career."
You can apply from 17 May to 29 July 2021.
If you have not applied by 29 July 2021 your application will not be considered useful for the merit list's creation.
After 29 July 2021, transferring or re-enrolling students must enrol in the entrance test . Their transfer will only be possible if they pass the Design test and enter the ranking according to the different enrolment periods. Any previous career can only be assessed by applying to the School of Design by sending an email: click here.
With your person code and password, access Online Services and select the item "Laurea Triennale (equivalent to Bachelor of Science) and single-cycle programmes: course transitions and admission with a previous academic career". Download and read the "Previous career evaluation request guideline".
You can indicate up to three degree programmes for which to request the assessment of your previous career. The procedure is quite intuitive and straightforward. Follow the screens and carefully read the warnings on each page. You will be asked to enter some information about your previous academic career. We advise you to prepare the following in advance:
- name of qualification obtained or partial qualification
- university name
- last academic year of enrolment
- last year of the programme in which you were enrolled
- last year’s enrolment status (regular repeating student, provisional repeating student, student who exceeded the legal time)
- date of your academic career ending
- reason for ending your academic career (withdrawal from studies, forfeited, or dismissed)
The application will ask you to declare whether you wish to have your previous academic career evaluated.
For each programme for which you are requesting assessment you will be required to pay € 60. This fee is non-refundable. As soon as the payment is received by Politecnico di Milano the assessment request cannot be changed, and will be sent to the committee.
A) If you declare that you "want the assessment", this means that your previous academic career will be assessed, and any teaching may be recognised.
You must enter the programmes for which you wish to be evaluated, indicating the following for each programme:
- SSD - Scientific Disciplinary Sector (if provided by your study programme or System)
- the number of credits should be indicated if provided by the study programme or System
- programme name or part of the name
- the academic year in which the exam is included in your career
- exam status (passed, not taken, Validated/derived from previous assessment/Suitability)
You also have to upload two separate files in PDF format including the following documents:
- Academic Transcripts: certified by the university registrar’s office, confirming courses taken, grades received and the relation of credits given to number of hours for each course. This document will be accepted in Italian, English, French or Spanish.
- Detailed Study Programs: brief course descriptions explaining the content and the basic topics covered in each course, and the number of hours for each course/training activity in the academic curriculum that the candidate has completed. Programs should be on university letterhead and stamped by the university. Politecnico di Milano DOES NOT require a translation of the detailed study programs if written in English, French or Spanish. The diploma supplement, if adopted, can replace the transcripts.
ATTENTION It is not necessary to have all documents legalized/apostilled in order to apply for an evaluation of the previous career but you must provide them after enrolment.
This procedure must be completed for each of the programmes for which you ask an evaluation. If you ask the evaluation for three different programmes, you will have to apply for three different evaluations, by clicking each time on "New Request."
Remember to specify any exams that you have not yet passed but that you intend to take after the date of submission of the career assessment request.
If you have been enrolled at Politecnico (e.g. you are a forfeited student), you will see the screen with your entire previous career entered.
This data entry operation must be completed for each target programme for which you are applying for admission. If you are applying for assessment for three different programmes, you will have to follow the procedure three times, each time clicking on the "New application" button.
Once you see the outcome you must:
- reject the assessment result
- accept the assessment result
If you have accepted your previous academic path's assessment outcome, previous programme exams that obtained OPTIONAL VALIDATION (see the column Optional validation YES with the related validated exam) may be taken on the date scheduled in the academic calendar until the closing date of your previous career.
Assessments may have different processing times. Accepting one assessment will invalidate all others. It is advisable to wait for the outcome of assessments before accepting.
- If you have been placed on the ranking list, accept the assessment outcome and proceed with the payment from 13th July to 7th September 2021.
- If you have not been included in the ranking listpublished on the website of the School of Design (the publication date will be communicated in the next few days) or have not applied for transfer by 29 July 2021, transfer/re-enrolment is only possible by passing the Design entrance test and any ranking depending on the different enrolment periods.
B) If you declare that you "do not want the assessment," you are stating that you do not want recognition of the exams from your previous academic career.
This choice cannot be changed.
Remember to pay the first instalment and enrol after you have correctly closed the enrolment on the previous programme, to avoid incurring enrolment in multiple degree programmes.