Students with a previous university career
If you are already graduated and you want to take a second Laurea (equivalent to Bachelor of Science) or if you have studied in a foreign University and you want a recognition of your previous exams, you can ask for an evaluation of your university career.
If you obtained a secondary school diploma after 11 or 10 years of global schooling and you attended one (in case of 11 years) or two (in case of 10 years) years of university studies you can’t apply for an evaluation of the university career for the years used in order to reach 12 years of school required for enrollment.
Please bear in mind that in order to obtain a degree at Politecnico di Milano, it is compulsory for you to achieve at least 60 ECTS credits at Politecnico di Milano (in addition to thesis and internship credits where foreseen).
How and when to apply
Application for a course abbreviation for all courses will be possible from May 16th, 2022.
You can select up to three Laurea (equivalent to Bachelor of Science) programs for which you want your previous career to be evaluated. The steps are very simple and intuitive. Follow the screens and read carefully the instructions shown on each page. You will be asked to enter some information about your previous career, so we suggest you to prepare in advance:
- name of the programme you were studying in
- university name
- last academic year of enrollment
- last year in which you were enrolled (1, 2, 3..)
- enrollment status (repeating, regular)
- closing date of your university career
- reason for closing your career (withdrawn from studies, loss of student status, transfer)
The application will ask you to declare if you want an evaluation of your previous career.
A) If you apply for the evaluation, your previous career will be evaluated and you may have some exams recognized.
You will have to enter the subjects for which you are asking an evaluation, specifying:
- select the university where you took the exam
- subject name
- exam status (passed, not taken, validated, recognized from previous evaluation)
You also have to upload a PDF file including the following documents:
- Academic Transcripts: certified by the university registrar’s office, confirming courses taken, grades received and the relation of credits given to number of hours for each course. This document will be accepted in Italian, English, French or Spanish.
- Detailed Study Programs: brief course descriptions explaining the content and the basic topics covered in each course, and the number of hours for each course/training activity in the academic curriculum that the candidate has completed. Programs should be on university letterhead and stamped by the university. Politecnico di Milano DOES NOT require a translation of the detailed study programs if written in English, French or Spanish. The diploma supplement, if adopted, can replace the transcripts.
ATTENTION It is not necessary to have all documents legalized/apostilled in order to apply for an evaluation of the previous career but you must provide them after enrolment.
This procedure must be completed for each of the programmes for which you ask an evaluation. If you ask the evaluation for three different programmes, you will have to apply for three different evaluations, by clicking each time on "New Request."
You will be required to pay € 60.00 for each one of the programs requested: this fee is not refundable. Once the payment will be registered from the Politecnico di Milano you will not be able to change the evaluation request, because it will be submitted to the evaluating Committee.
Your evaluation request/s will be sent to the evaluating Committee only after you have completed the payment. A board of professors will evaluate you career: by entering the Online Services you’ll be able to check the status of the evaluation process and, if complete, the final evaluation results. Once results are released, you’ll be able to:
- Reject the evaluation
- Confirm the evaluation obtained
The evaluations may be dealt with different timings; if you accept an evaluation result the other requests will be cancelled. We suggest to wait for the outcome of all evaluations before acceptance.
B) If you declare that you don’t want an evaluation, the recognition of the exams of your previous career will not be made and it will no longer be possible to apply later on.
If you are
- a student from another University who wishes to transfer to one of our degree courses,
- have already graduated or obtained a university degree diploma from Politecnico di Milano or another University, and wish to take a second degree
- or your previous academic career has been terminated due to withdrawal or forfeiture and you want to re-enrol for a degree course,
you must follow the instructions on the following pages, depending on the degree course: