Prepare documents for the enrolment

Admissions to Laurea (equivalent to Bachelor of Science) programmes starting in October are open to undergraduates who by the end of August will have a recognized final diploma of secondary studies.

Warning: In case of missing documentation, in accordance with the existing rules, Politecnico di Milano will revoke the enrolment even if the candidate has passed the admission test.

NEW: We are now accepting CIMEA (Information Centre on Academic Mobility and Equivalence) Statement of Comparability and Statement of Verification which can be obtained (upon payment) in a few weeks and completely digitally by creating a personal account on MyDiplome. For further details about this, please check CIMEA website

1 - Final diploma of secondary studies (at least 12 years)

Unless the document is not issued by the school directly in English, French or Spanish, a translation is mandatory. Politecnico di Milano accepts translations in Italian (preferably), English, French or Spanish.

2 - Option a) "Declaration of value" (Dichiarazione di valore)

Issued by the Italian Diplomatic Representative related to the high school degree. The Declaration of Value is a document, released by the Italian competent Authority in the Country to which the educational system of your school refers, attesting the validity of your Diploma and in particular attesting you are entitled to enter University.

Students graduated in Europe can replace the Declaration of Value with a Certificate Supplement.


Option b) CIMEA STATEMENT OF COMPARABILITY ( digital version only) 

3 - Certificate proving the completion of 1 or 2 years of academic studies or a post-secondary title in case of countries where the educational system lasts only 11 or 10 years

confirming the examinations passed and translated into Italian if not issued by the university directly in English, French or Spanish. Politecnico di Milano accepts translation into Italian, English, French or Spanish.

4 - Certificate attesting that the University entrance examination in the country of origin has been passed

If required by law (e.g. Vestibular for Brazil, Selectividad for Spain, Prova de Afericao o Prova Geral de Acesso ao Ensino Superior for Portugal, etc.). It is necessary for Chinese students to take the GAO KAO examination in order to apply.

5 - A certified academic transcript only for students who have applied for an evaluation of their previous university career

An official certificate confirming the examinations passed and translated if not issued by the university directly in English, French or Spanish. Politecnico di Milano accepts translation into Italian, English, French or Spanish. (*)

[More info about Evaluation of the previous career]


(*) All the documents in points 1, 3, 4 and 5 must be duly legalized/apostilled/verified

About this, you have more options:

a) CIMEA Statement of Verification (digital version only)

b)Apostille > Apostille authenticates the seals and signatures of officials on public documents, so that they can be recognized in foreign countries that are parties of the Convention. Please click here to view the list of countries that have signed the Convention and the authority in charge of Apostille.

c)Legalization obtained by referring to the competent Italian Representative

Please note: translations obtained from translators or Tribunals in Italy will not be accepted.

Declaration of value and legalizations, when necessary, must be obtained by the competent Italian Representatives your High School system belongs to (e.g.: for a university with British educational system in Peruvian territory the authorities of reference are those of the UK).



6 - An English language certificate to provide within the first year of enrolment, only for the following categories of students:

  • students enrolled in Laurea (equivalent to Bachelor of Science) programmes held in English; the minimum requirements for English language proficiency are as follows:

    • TOEFL CBT ≥ 170
    • TOEFL IBT ≥ 59
    • TOEFL PBT ≥ 497
    • Our TOEFL code is 9795 *

    • TOEIC: 600
    • IELTS: 5
    • Cambridge: FCE - C

    Note: only English mother tongue students and those who can prove that English was the medium of instruction of their secondary studies are exempted from providing an English language certification. In this last case, students are required to provide an official document, issued by the school or the government, certifying that English was their medium of instruction.

  • students enrolled in Architectural Design held in Italian, Urban Planning programme or who access thanks to the evaluation of their previous career (without taking the entrance test) can prove their English language knowledge either by: exhibiting a valid language certificate, among the ones listed at this link
    Taking part in one of the English exam sessions which will be taking place throughout the year

Attention: in order to obtain a study visa you may be asked to provide an Italian language certificate. We suggest you to contact the Italian Diplomatic Representation of your country as soon as possible for confirmation.