Residence Permit while awaiting employment

Non-EU students who have obtained their Laurea (equivalent to Bachelor of Science), Laurea Magistrale (equivalent to Master of Science), a level 1 or 2 Specializing master’s degree or a PhD, will be able to convert their study permit into a one-year residence permit while awaiting employment. Before doing so, they must register in the jobseeker’s list of the Centro per l’Impiego (Job Centre) in the city they live in. This permit can be changed (during its year of validity) into a residence permit with a right to work.

Documents needed:

  1. Application filled in and signed by the interested party (Modules 1 and 2);
  2. Complete photocopy of passport or other equivalent document;
  3. Certificate of the statement made to the employment office (formerly registration on employment lists).


  • The loss of a job does not lead to the withdrawal of a residency permit.
  • The alien with a residency permit for subordinate employment who loses his job, even when dismissed, may be registered on the Employment Centre list for the remaining validity of the residency permit, and nevertheless for a period no less than six (6) months.

For legal reference:

  • Art. 22 of Legislative Decree no. 286/98 and subsequent amendments
  • Art. 37 of Presidential Decree 394/99 and subsequent amendments