In order to be able to take advantage of the exemption by merit it is necessary:
- being regularly enrolled in the current academic year
- having achieved, in the previous academic year, results that fall within the parameters shown in the attached table
The average value is weighted on ECTS and is calculated by the following formula: sum of the products of the scores related to ECTS, divided by the sum of the ECTS obtained. The average is calculated on the total ECTS obtained starting from the first year of the Programme. The average is calculated on the exams, with score expressed in thirtieth, as provided by the Study Plan approved in the previous academic year; the exams as-extra, the lines of Study Plan for internship, for final test and similar are not taken into consideration neither for the purpose of calculation of the average, nor for calculation of the minimum number of ECTS required.
- for students of income bracket higher than fourth, the exemption quota will be calculated no greater than that provided for the fourth income bracket
- for students that transfer from another University, it is considered the first year of registration at Politecnico di Milano, and for students that change Study Programme or career within the Politecnico or who enrol afresh following waiver and expiry of time, it is considered the year of when the study programme has been changed. In all cases, any approved ECTS related to the previous career and validated in the new career will not be taken into account for calculation of ECTS and average
- exemption for the first year of enrollment in a Laurea Magistrale (equivalent to Master of Science) Study Programme can be obtained only if the first university enrollment, to a Laurea (equivalent to Bachelor of Science) Programme of Politecnico di Milano or of other Italian University, has been made three academic years before the ongoing academic year, to be documented with self-certification of degree score and first enrolment date
The students who are parents of a child who has not reached the sixth year of age in the calendar year at the beginning of the academic year, have the total exemption of the all-inclusive contribution payment for the academic year in which they enrol. For students of income bracket higher than fourth, the exemption quota will be calculated no greater than that provided for the fourth income bracket.
Documentation: self-certification of your child's data. The birth certificate, if foreign, must be legalised and translated.
The exemption, equal to 25% of the all-inclusive contribution, is only for students that passed at least one exam in the calendar year of the beginning of the academic year and that can be included in one of the following conditions, that must be appropriately documented.
N.B.: In the absence of the requirement of passing the exam, the exoneration request should not be submitted.
1. Employee within the EU, for a period of at least six months during the solar year at the beginning of the academic year and with a minimum commitment of 18 hours per week.
N.B.: Contracts for internship/apprenticeship activity are not considered as working activity for the purposes of the exoneration.
- Declaration recently dated and signed by the employer certifying the necessary requirements (recruitment date, weekly hours, etc.). Working activity must be provided for at least 6 months in 2022
- Salary for month of December 2022 or last salary of 2022
2. Self-employed, only for those with a VAT number in Italy, with income from employment of no less than 7,766.00 € gross, resulting from the income tax return of the tax period of the previous calendar year to the beginning of the academic year.
- Quarterly VAT payment receipts for the year 2022 or document certifying the minimum regime not involving the payment of VAT
- Copy of income return (Unico 2022 Form for 2021 income)
3. Person undertaking the work within the EU, with work for a period of at least six months during the calendar year at the beginning of the academic year, with a minimum commitment of 18 hours per week (where specified in the contract) and/or an income of no less than 7,766.00 € gross during the calendar year at the beginning of the academic year.
- Remuneration receipts for the year 2022
- Documentation certifying the requirements envisaged for carrying out working activity
4. Persons involved in civil and military service within the EU. The carrying out of the voluntary civil/military service must begin in the calendar year at the beginning of the academic year.
- Self-certification in accordance with Art. 46 of Italian Presidential Decree 445 dated 28/12/2000 certifying the conduct of voluntarily military/civil service, start and end date, relevant Entity or Corps and respective contact details (telephone, e-mail etc.)
If the activities described above are carried out for subjects/entities with registered office abroad, the documentation must be legalized and translated officially.
For students of income bracket higher than fourth, the exemption quota will be calculated no greater than that provided for the fourth income bracket.
Working students and those that provide voluntary civil or military service, enrolled for the first time in a Study Programme, may not apply for exemption, except for students who enroll after a renunciation or withdrawal condition in programmes of Politecnico di Milano. In this case, the exemption is granted only if in the calendar year of the beginning of the previous academic year they passed at least one exam, except exams as-extra: without an examination, it is not possible to apply for the exemption.
Students with brothers/sisters from the same family, as specified by the ISEE certificate, and simultaneously enrolled (in the same academic year) in a Politecnico study programme of Laurea (equivalent to Bachelor of Science), Laurea Magistrale (equivalent to Master of Science) or single-cycle Laurea Magistrale (equivalent to Master of Science), can apply for a 10% reduction of the value of the indicator of the economic condition, in order to be assigned to a lower income bracket.
The exemption can be granted if an Isee (Equivalent Economic Situation Indicator) 2023 with DSU (Single Substitute Declaration) signed and registered in the Online Services (Data > Tuition fees and financial benefits > ISEE declarations) is obtained by the deadline.
Students involved in Double Degree Programme and with a career that provides an extra commitment in terms of ECTS for which it is necessary to enroll to a further academic year if compared to the normal duration of the Study Programme, they can obtain the exemption from paying the all-inclusive contribution for enrollment to the further year. Exemption can be granted only once during the university career.
Only for students enrolling on the Double Laurea Magistrale (equivalent to Master of Science) programme financed by the European Union for which the contribution is partially covered by the funding that the Politecnico di Milano receives from the consortium to which it belongs. The students shall be exempt from paying any exceeding part for the first two years of enrolment, notwithstanding the payment of regional tax, stamp duty and insurance unless otherwise provided for by the programme.
For students who take part to an Internal Double Degree Programme at Politecnico of Milano, in the first two years of enrollment, only the payment of 100% of the all-inclusive contribution is provided, regardless of the number of ECTS included in the Study Plan. In the third academic year of enrollment and in any subsequent years, a total exemption from payment of the all-inclusive contribution is provided only in the case of continuation with the specific career in Internal Double Degree Programme.
Students participating in the Alta Scuola Politecnica Programme are exempted from paying the all-inclusive contribution throughout the period of stay in the specific educational programme.
Students participating in the UIC - University of Illinois Chicago affiliated programme are only required to enrol for the second year of that programme and are exempt from paying the all-inclusive contribution; however, amounts related to regional tax, stamp duty and insurance are still due.
The Laurea Magistrale (equivalent to Master of Science) international students, who have received a Scholarship from Politecnico di Milano or other Institutions (excluding the scholarship of the University Financial Aid - Diritto allo Studio, awarded by merit and income), are exempted from paying the all-inclusive contribution for the years in which they benefit from the scholarship.
Students, that received the aforementioned scholarship for the two years provided and need to enroll in a further academic year, are exempted only for this additional year. For the following additional years of enrollment, Extra-EU students are placed automatically in the highest income bracket and don't have to submit the EQUIVALENT ISEE nor the ISEE for the purposes of determining the second instalment; EU students are placed in the income bracket defined by the financial situation indicator.
Extra-EU students who, after the first year of assignment, lose the scholarship, are placed in the maximum contribution bracket for all further years of enrolment and don't have to submit the EQUIVALENT ISEE nor the ISEE for the purposes of determining the second instalment; EU students instead are placed in the contribution bracket deriving from the economic condition indicator.
Non-EU students admitted to the Laurea Magistrale (equivalent to Master of Science) programmes who benefit from the Diritto allo Studio scholarship (granted on the basis of merit and income) and are unable to confirm the scholarship, thereby losing the exemption, are automatically placed in the highest contribution bracket and don't have to submit the EQUIVALENT ISEE nor the ISEE for the purposes of determining the second instalment.
The exemption is not granted to students with an academic degree level equal or higher to the Study Programme of enrollment, previously obtained in Italy or abroad.
Every year, the University sets the maximum number of exemptions provided. In case the total amount of exemptions exceeds the fixed limit, a percentage reduction of the amounts can be applied to the exemptions.
Warning: for all the categories of exemption detailed above (from 1 to 8 inclusive), if the requirements and conditions necessary for the awarding of special exemptions provided for students close to completing their studies are also met, only the financial benefit that is most advantageous to the student will be allocated.