Categories of exemption provided by the Politecnico
Academic Year 2021/2022
Further exemptions are provided for the following categories of students:
1 - Students with particular high merits (exemption of 50% or 100% depending on merit)
In order to be able to take advantage of the exemption by merit it is necessary:
- being regularly enrolled in the current academic year
- having achieved, in the previous academic year, results that fall within the parameters shown in the attached table
The average value is weighted on ECTS and is calculated by the following formula: sum of the products of the scores related to ECTS, divided by the sum of the ECTS obtained. The average is calculated on the total ECTS obtained starting from the first year of the Programme. The average is calculated on the exams, with score expressed in thirtieth, as provided by the Study Plan approved in the previous academic year; the exams as-extra, the lines of Study Plan for internship, for final test and similar are not taken into consideration neither for the purpose of calculation of the average, nor for calculation of the minimum number of ECTS required.
- for students of income bracket higher than fourth, the exemption quota will be calculated no greater than that provided for the fourth income bracket
- for students that transfer from another University, it is considered the first year of registration at Politecnico di Milano, and for students that change Study Programme or career within the Politecnico or who enrol afresh following waiver and expiry of time, it is considered the year of when the study programme has been changed. In all cases, any approved ECTS related to the previous career and validated in the new career will not be taken into account for calculation of ECTS and average
- exemption for the first year of enrollment in a Laurea Magistrale (equivalent to Master of Science) Study Programme can be obtained only if the first university enrollment, to a Laurea (equivalent to Bachelor of Science) Programme of Politecnico di Milano or of other Italian University, has been made three academic years before the ongoing academic year, to be documented with self-certification of degree score and 1st enrolment date
2 - Students who are parents of young children (exemption of 100%)
The students who are parents of a child who has not reached the sixth year of age in the solar year at the beginning of the academic year, have the total exemption of the all-inclusive contribution payment for the academic year in which they enrol. For students of income bracket higher than fourth, the exemption quota will be calculated no greater than that provided for the fourth income bracket.
Documentation: self-certification of composition of family unit and certifying child’s date of birth.
The birth certificate and/or certificate of family unit composition, if foreign, must be legalised and translated.
3 - Working students, students in voluntary civil or military service within the EU (exemption of 25%)
The exemption, equal to 25% of the all-inclusive contribution, is only for students that passed at least one exam in the calendar year of the beginning of the academic year and that can be included in one of the following conditions, that must be appropriately documented (N.B.: In the absence of the requirement of passing the exam, the exoneration request should not be submitted):
1. Employee within the EU, for a period of at least six months during the solar year at the beginning of the academic year and with a minimum commitment of 18 hours per week.
N.B.: Contracts for internship/apprenticeship activity that do not envisage remuneration are not considered as working activity for the purposes of the exoneration.
- Declaration recently dated and signed by the employer certifying the necessary requirements (recruitment date, weekly hours, etc…). Working activity must be provided for at least 6 months in 2021
- Salary for month of December 2021 or last salary of 2021
2. Self-employed, only for those with a VAT number in Italy, with income from employment of no less than 7,766.00€ gross, resulting from the income tax return of the tax period of two solar years prior to the beginning of the academic year.
- Quarterly VAT payment receipts for the year 2021 or document certifying the minimum regime not involving the payment of VAT
- Copy of income return (Unico 2021 Form for 2020 income)
3. Person undertaking the work within the EU, with work for a period of at least six months during the solar year at the beginning of the academic year, with a minimum commitment of 18 hours per week (where specified in the contract) and/or an income of no less than 7,766.00€ gross during the solar year at the beginning of the academic year.
- Remuneration receipts for the year 2021
- Documentation certifying the requirements envisaged for carrying out working activity
4. Persons involved in civil and military service within the EU. The carrying out of the voluntary civil/military service must begin in the solar year at the beginning of the academic year.
- Self-certification in accordance with Art. 46 of Italian Presidential Decree 445 dated 28/12/2000 certifying the conduct of voluntarily military/civil service, start and end date, relevant Entity or Corps and respective contact details (tel., e-mail, etc)
If the activities described above are carried out for subjects/entities with registered office abroad, the documentation must be legalized and translated officially.
For students of income bracket higher than fourth, the exemption quota will be calculated no greater than that provided for the fourth income bracket.
Working students and those that provide voluntary civil or military service, enrolled for the first time in a Study Programme, may not apply for exemption, except for students who enroll after a renunciation or withdrawal condition in programmes of Politecnico di Milano. In this case, the exemption is granted only if in the calendar year of the beginning of the previous academic year, they passed at least one exam, except exams as-extra: without an examination, it is not possible to apply for the exemption.
4 - Simultaneous registration of brothers/sisters (variable)
Students with brothers/sisters from the same family, as specified by the ISEE certificate, and simultaneously enrolled (in the same academic year) in a Politecnico study programme of Laurea (equivalent to Bachelor of Science), Laurea Magistrale (equivalent to Master of Science) or single-cycle Laurea Magistrale (equivalent to Master of Science), can apply for a 10% reduction of the value of the indicator of the economic condition, in order to be assigned to a lower income bracket.
5 - Students participating in a Double Degree Programme (exemption of 100%) AUTOMATICALLY GRANTED EXEMPTION (STARTING FROM THE 2019/2020 ACADEMIC YEAR)
Students involved in Double Degree Programme and with a career that provides an extra commitment in terms of ECTS for which it is necessary to enroll to a further academic year if compared to the normal duration of the Study Programme, they can obtain the exemption from paying the all-inclusive contribution for enrollment to the further year. Exemption can be granted only once during the university career.
Only for students involved in EIT Digital Master Double Degree Programme, the contribution is partially covered with the funding that Politecnico di Milano receives from Consorzio EIT in which it is involved in the first 2 years of registration. Students are exempted from the possible excess amount.
For students who take part to an Internal Double Degree Programme at Politecnico of Milano, in the first two years of enrollment, only the payment of 100% of the all-inclusive contribution is provided, regardless of the number of ECTS included in the Study Plan. In the third academic year of enrollment and in any subsequent years, a total exemption from payment of the all-inclusive contribution is provided only in the case of continuation with the specific career in Internal Double Degree Programme.
6 - Students participating in the Alta Scuola Politecnica programme (exemption of 100%) AUTOMATICALLY GRANTED EXEMPTION (STARTING FROM THE 2019/2020 ACADEMIC YEAR)
Students participating in the Alta Scuola Politecnica Programme are exempted from paying the all-inclusive contribution throughout the period of stay in the specific educational programme.
7 - International students with a scholarship (exemption 100%) AUTOMATICALLY GRANTED EXEMPTION (STARTING FROM THE 2019/2020 ACADEMIC YEAR)
The Laurea Magistrale (equivalent to Master of Science) international students, who have received a Scholarship from Politecnico di Milano or other Institutions, are exempted from paying the all-inclusive contribution for the years in which they benefit from the scholarship.
Students, that received the aforementioned scholarship for the two years provided and need to enroll in a further academic year, are exempted only for this additional year. For the following additional years of enrollment, Extra-EU students are placed automatically in the highest income bracket and don't have to submit the EQUIVALENT ISEE nor the ISEE for the purposes of determining the second instalment; EU students are placed in the income bracket defined by the financial situation indicator.
Extra-EU students who, after the first year of assignment, lose the scholarship, are placed in the maximum contribution bracket for all further years of enrolment and don't have to submit the EQUIVALENT ISEE nor the ISEE for the purposes of determining the second instalment; EU students instead are placed in the contribution bracket deriving from the economic condition indicator.
Non-EU students admitted to the Laurea Magistrale (equivalent to Master of Science) programmes who benefit from the Diritto allo Studio scholarship (granted on the basis of merit and income) and are unable to confirm the scholarship, thereby losing the exemption, are automatically placed in the highest contribution bracket and don't have to submit the EQUIVALENT ISEE nor the ISEE for the purposes of determining the second instalment.
The exemption is not granted to students with an academic degree level equal or higher to the Study Programme of enrollment, previously obtained in Italy or abroad.
Every year, the University sets the maximum number of exemptions provided. In case the total amount of exemptions exceeds the fixed limit, a percentage reduction of the amounts can be applied to the exemptions.