Withdrawal from studies

Academic year 2023/2024

If you intend to permanently abandon your university career, you must submit a study withdrawal application. The withdrawal is irrevocable and will allow you to start a new university career.

When to apply:

For freshmen

Students who enrolled in the A.Y. 2023/2024 are entitled to a refund of the 1st instalment (excluding the € 16 stamp duty and € 9,59 insurance) if they submit the waiver application by:

  • 13/11/2023 for students who enrolled in the 1st semester
  • 15/04/2024 for students who enrolled in the 2nd semester

Withdrawal applications submitted starting from 14/11/2023 (for new first semester students) or from 16/04/2024 (for new second semester students) are not entitled to a refund.

Withdrawal applications submitted from 19/02/2024 (for new first semester students) will be accepted without the right to a refund and only after payment of the 2nd instalment.

Students enrolled on single courses with a number of ECTS greater than 32 shall be required to also pay the second instalment if they submit a withdraw request after 13 November 2023 (first semester) or after 15 April 2024 (second semester).

The refund does not include the € 16 stamp duty and € 9,59 insurance, and is not payable in the event that registration certificates with stamp duty have been requested and have been used.

For all other students

All other students can submit an application for withdrawal in any period of the academic year, as long as they are up to date with all payments up to the A.Y.  2022/2023 inclusive.

Students who have already paid the 1st instalment 2023/2024 are not entitled to any refund.

Students who submit an application for withdrawal from 19/02/2024 are also required to pay the 2nd instalment if already enrolled in the A.Y. 2023/2024.

How to make a request

To abandon your studies, go to your Online Services > Career data > Suspension or Withdrawal Requests, follow the procedure indicated in the appropriate application, completing the procedure with the payment of stamp duty/any back taxes. Attention: without payment of stamp duty, it is non possible to apply for withdrawal.

Payment of the stamp duty and any back taxes, necessary to complete the application for withdrawal from studies, can be made at the end of the presentation of the application, choosing between immediate payment by prepaid credit card and subsequent payment by home banking.

Attention: the application for withdrawal from studies will be handled by the Registrar’s Office which will carry out the necessary checks for acceptance and definitive registration, in the meantime, please note that it is possible to SELF-CERTIFY (law DPR 245/2000) that you have submitted the application for renunciation online in case it is needed for access to other italian public universities. 

For new students of the A.Y. 2023/2024 in the first semester of a degree programme, a master's degree programme or single programmes that apply by 13/11/20223 will receive reimbursement more or less by the end of March 2024.

For new freshmen of the A.Y. 2023/2024 in the second semester of a master's degree programme or single programmes that apply by 15/04/2024 will receive reimbursement approximately by the end of September 2024.

If you have withdrawn and subsequently decide to restart your studies, you will have to follow the procedure provided for students enrolling for the first time. The procedures to be followed in order to re-enrol following withdrawal from studies are illustrated in the section dedicated to Future students. Any recognition of the credits acquired is the responsibility of the relevant Study Programme Board, after verifying their validity.

If you are a foreign student already enrolled with an Italian university, you have abandoned your studies and want to request a new enrolment at the same or another university, you cannot use the specific residence permit for study issued when you previously enrolled.
Formalizing the withdrawal from studies determines the lack of the requisites required for the stay in the country and, consequently, the revocation of the authorisation (see article 5, paragraph 3, 4 and 5 of Legislative Decree 25 July 1998, no. 286 "Consolidated text of the provisions concerning the discipline of immigration and rules on the state of the foreigner" and subsequent amendments)." You will therefore need to get a new student visa.