Changing degree programme to Laurea programmes in Engineering and AUIC/Engineering
Academic year 2023/2024
In order to transfer to the 5-year single cycle programme in Building Engineering/Architecture and to the laurea (equivalent to Bachelor of Science) study programme in Building and Construction Engineering, please consult the "Guide for changing BSc"
If you are a student who is already enrolled at the Politecnico di Milano and you wish to change to a study programme of the Schools of Engineering or of the School of AUIC/Engineering, you must submit your request through the Online Services between 15 May and 31 July 2023.
Changing from Architecture / Design / Building Engineering-Architecture
If you are enrolled in a programme at the Schools of Architecture or Design of Politecnico, you may change programme:
- without taking the TOL entrance test if the chosen programme is worth at least 35 ECTS. It is possible to request to change the degree programme until 13 September 2023, directly after the previous career assessment;
- with a compulsory TOL entrance test, if the chosen programme is worthless than 35 ECTS. If your TOL test result and ranking placement allows you to enrol in your chosen programme, you must follow the instructions and deadlines for enrolment, as well as the instructions below regarding the assessment of your previous academic career.
If you are unsure whether the programme is worth at least 35 ECTS, we recommend that you take the TOL entrance test, to ensure that you are able to enrol in the programme of your choice.
Changing from Engineering
If you are enrolled in a study programme in Engineering at Politecnico, you'll be allowed to change to another Engineering study programme without taking the TOL entrance test if you have not been assigned the OFA TEST, and if you have obtained, by 15 August 2023, the number of ECTS required by the study programme of interest according to the list below:
- Biomedical Engineering: 20 ECTS (but subject to evaluation. depending on available places. For more information please consult the Educational Regulations)
- Electrical Engineering: 15 ECTS
- Physics Engineering: 15 ECTS
- Management and Production Engineering (Cremona and Bovisa): requests for switching to the first degree Laurea (equivalent to Bachelor of Science) in Management and production Engineering from Politecnico di Milano students will only be allowed for those who, as of 15 August, have obtained a number of regularly registered ECTS credits equal to or greater than the following values: 40 ECTS credits for students first enrolled in the same academic year; 70 ECTS credits for students first enrolled in the previous academic year; 90 ECTS credits for students first enrolled in two or more previous academic years. Any extra examinations in the student's plan are also taken into account in the calculation of these threshold values (for more information please consult the Educational Regulations)
- Engineering of Computing Systems (Milano): 20 ECTS
- Engineering of Computing Systems - Online: 20 ECTS
- Mechanical Engineering (Bovisa and Piacenza): 40 ECTS
- Automation Engineering: 20 ECTS
- Energy Engineering: 30 ECTS
- Aerospace Engineering: 20 ECTS (but subject to evaluation, depending on available places. For more information please consult the Educational Regulations)
- Materials and Nanotechnology Engineering: 20 ECTS
- Mathematical Engineering: 25 ECTS
The degree programmes not listed above allow you to change programme without taking the TOL test, regardless of the number of ECTS obtained, provided that you have not been assigned the OFA TEST.
Chenges to the Chemical Engineering programme will be accepted subject to availability of places.
An exception to this is the programme in Building and Construction Engineering (AUIC/Engineering School), for which the change of programme is allowed only if the target programme is worth at least 35 ECTS (more information in the "Guide for changing BSc").
A board will assess which of the transfer requests that meet the above requirements can be accepted, taking into account the planned number of places for the 1st year and the academic career indicators (number of ECTS obtained, average score, TOL score). The board will also decide which ECTS credits shall be recognised as valid for graduation from the laurea programme.
The last date for examinations to obtain ECTS for the purposes of changing programme is conventionally set at 15 August 2023 for all degree programmes. If you do not meet the requirements for the degree programme of your choice, you may retake the TOL entrance test according to the enrolment procedures for the new academic year, once you have withdrawn from your current study programme.
Notes for all students
Requests to change programme may only be made before the start of the academic year and following the procedures indicated. You may not request to change programme or School in the year of your first enrolment. Furthermore, students who have been assigned the OFA TEST and have not yet passed it are not permitted to request to change degree programme or School.
Any OFAs in English which are not recovered before changing the programme will be carried over to the new programme: in this case, the OFAs in English must be recovered within the academic year in which you changed programme, otherwise you will not be able to add new courses for subsequent years to your study plan. Even if your study plan (submitted after the changing of programme procedure is complete) includes all the ECTS required to graduate from the Laurea programme, you will not be permitted to sit the final examination until the English OFAs have been recovered.
PROCEDURE FOR REQUESTING AN ASSESSMENT OF YOUR PREVIOUS CAREER
Using your person code and password, log in to the Online Services and select "Laurea (equivalent to a Bachelor of science) and five-year single-cycle programmes: previous career assessment for admissions and transfers". You can request evaluation of your academic career for a maximum of 3 degree programmes. You will be required to pay €60.00 for each evaluation request. This fee is non-refundable.
Follow the screens and carefully read the information shown on each page. The application will ask you to declare if you want an evaluation of your previous career.
If you declare that "you want the evaluation"
This means that your previous academic career will be evaluated and the result may imply that certain courses can be recognised.
As a student enrolled at the Politecnico, you will see your entire previous career displayed on the screen. Please remember to state, among the exams you have yet to pass, which ones you are going to take after the submission date of the application for your career evaluation (to do this, use the '+' button next to the course). In case of non-selection, you cannot take any exam of the study programme of origin in exam dates after the submission date of application.
If you have undeclared careers at other Universities and you wish to apply for exams taken in that educational career to be validated, you can apply for this during the evaluation request procedure by clicking on "edit/add titles" and providing the University and the Laurea study programme data, by manually adding the data related to the passed exams mentioned above. Click on the "confirm" button to complete the career evaluation application and proceed with the payment.
This process must be completed for each programme for which you are requesting admission. To request evaluation for three different programmes, you must complete the procedure three times, by selecting ‘New request’ each time.
You will be required to pay €60.00 for each programme for which you request evaluation. This fee is non-refundable. Once Politecnico di Milano has received the payment, the evaluation request will be sent to the board and can no longer be changed.
The time required to process each evaluation may vary. If you have requested multiple evaluations, the acceptance of one evaluation will automatically invalidate any others. Academic careers will be evaluated by 7 september 2023. We recommend that you wait for the results of all evaluations before accepting any of them.
You must log back into the application, view the outcome and either accept or reject it by 13 September 2023.
Once you have accepted the outcome of your academic career evaluation, the examinations from your original programme that have obtained OPTIONAL APPROVAL (see ‘YES’ beside the relevant approved examination in the ‘optional approval’ column) may be taken on the exam dates scheduled in the 2022/2023 academic calendar, even if they are after the date on which your request for an academic record evaluation was accepted: if passed, they will be approved; if not passed, they will become New Attendances on your new degree programme.
If you declare that "you don't want the evaluation"
You are declaring that you do not want the recognition of exams from your previous academic career. This cannot be changed later.
Paying the enrolment fee
Students from the Schools of Design, Architecture or Building Architecture-Engineering who have taken the TOL and are placed in the ranking must proceed with the change of programme, according to the deadlines for each ranking; and can pay the enrolment fee by 13 September 2023, by downloading the IUV payment slip found at Online Services > Tuition fees > Last unpaid request, valid as enrolment for the Academic Year 2023/2024.
If you have taken the TOL and are placed in the ranking but have previously withdrawn from your path of studies, you must proceed with re-enrolment and payment of the first instalment for the Academic Year 2023/2024, according to the deadlines for each ranking.
If you are not required to take the TOL test, you may proceed with the change of programme and pay the first enrolment fee by 13 September 2023, by downloading the IUV payment slip from Online Services > Tuition fees > Last unpaid request, which counts as enrolment for the Academic Year 2023/2024.