Creation of the new Historical Library
A collection of volumes representing the basics of the Milanese and Lombard polytechnic culture
It's just born, but it already has a very long history. It is the Historical Library, the new initiative of the Archival and Library System of Politecnico di Milano, which has as objective the conservation and enhancement of the most ancient and valuable library heritage of the University.
It is about 20,000 volumes published from the sixteenth to the nineteenth century, an interesting collection now available to scholars and bibliophiles for free consultation. From the first volumes acquired by the Regio Istituto Tecnico Superiore (Royal Higher Technical Institute - this was the name of Politecnico) in 1863, to the books signed by the professors who made the history of our University, as the first rector Francesco Brioschi or the architect Luca Beltrami.
Among the rarities that can be found in the new library, there are, for example, the 1521 edition of De Architectura by Vitruvio, a copy of Discorsi e dimostrazioni matematiche (Discourses and mathematical demonstrations) by Galileo Galilei, of 1638, the De gravitate universali corporum by Paolo Frisi of 1768, or the original edition of the study by Fernand de Dartein Sur architecture Lombard and the origins of Roman-Byzantine architecture.
The location of the new library is at the Campus Leonardo, in the Ciliegio Hall, a welcoming and bright space, characterized by high wooden shelves that call to mind the ancient libraries. About 6,000 volumes are stored here, divided by subject areas. The other 14,000 volumes are in a storage within the Campus, where the Historical Archival Collections (Fondo Brioschi, Masotti, Ranza, Piola and Frisi), atlases, large-format works and other documentary collections are kept.
Access and consultation of the volumes of the Historical Library are free and without any charge.